neuropathopoiesis | …
- derived forms: neuropathopoietic (adjective)
- Zarros A. Prerequisites for a reliable introduction of in vitro neurotoxicity testing within the REACH framework. Neurotoxicology 2014; 44: 365.
ofiomosaic (model of myelination) | term devised for a suggested model of myelination, based on experimental data generated by Ioannidou et al.. The data suggest that myelination involves a series of dynamic interactions that begins with the initial contact of an oligodendrocyte progenitor cell process moving along neurites and forming spirals of cytoplasm-filled membrane from which myelin membrane ‘‘fillsout’’. Real-time imaging presented by Ioannidou et al. suggests this membrane sheath forms cuffs which thicken, join up, and then extend along the axon; thus, the model suggests that myelination involves a combination of mechanisms where the ‘‘serpent’’ model predominates with aspects of the ‘‘patchwork quilt’’ model[3,4].
- alternative: ophiomosaic (model of myelination)
- Ioannidou K, Anderson KI, Strachan D, Edgar JM, Barnett SC. Time-lapse imaging of the dynamics of CNS glial-axonal interactions in vitro and ex vivo. PLoS One 2012; 7(1): e30775.
- Sobottka B, Ziegler U, Kaech A, Becher B, Goebels N. CNS live imaging reveals a new mechanism of myelination: the liquid croissant model. Glia 2011; 59(12): 1841-1849.
- Luse SA. Formation of myelin in the central nervous system of mice and rats, as studied with the electron microscope. J Biophys Biochem Cytol 1956; 2(6): 777-784.
- Bunge MB, Bunge RP, Ris H. Ultrastructural study of remyelination in an experimental lesion in adult cat spinal cord. J Biophys Biochem Cytol 1961; 10: 67-94.